12th March, 2018
Céilí/Talent Show/Class Performances
All parents/guardians are invited to the school this Friday March 16th from 9.15a.m. to 9.45a.m. for class performances. Later in the day the children will have a céilí and talent show with an Irish theme. Please encourage your child to take part in the Talent Show as it can really boost their confidence. The school closes at normal times on Friday (1.40 and 2.40p.m.)
Student Council Easter Egg Raffle
Earlier in the year the Student Council suggested having an Easter Egg Raffle. Tickets for this raffle will be on sale later in the week. A big thanks to Zach and the Larmer family for donating the fantastic prizes.
Child Safeguarding Statement/Risk Assessment
The Children First Act 2015 was enacted in November 2015. It was, however, December 2017 when all the remaining sections of the Act commenced. The key measures in the Act are:
- It is a statutory requirement that schools keep pupils safe from harm.
- All registered teachers have a statutory obligation to report child protection concerns over a defined threshold to TUSLA (Child and Family Agency). These reports are mandated reports.
- All schools must produce a Child Safeguarding Statement and Risk Assessment.
- The Designated Liason Person is Seamus Tansley and Deputy Designated Liason Person is Phil Mc Auley.
Our Child Safeguarding Statement and Risk Assessment was ratified by the Board of Management at its meeting on March 6th. This will be put on the school website and be provided to all staff. The Parents’ Association and the Patron will also get a copy. Parents/Guardians can get a hard copy on request from the office.. All parents/guardians should be aware of the content of the Child Protection Procedures for Primary and Post Primary Schools 2017 as well as the schools’ Child Safeguarding Statement and Risk Assessment.
Our Statement of Strategy for School Attendance is on the school website. A hard copy is available from the office. The main points on the policy are:
- When a child is absent the parent/guardian must inform the class teacher by means of an Absence Note and explain the reason for the absence.
- A letter is sent to parents/guardians at the end of the school year to inform them of the school’s obligation to report to TUSLA if their child has missed 20 days or more.
The Attendance rates for January and February were 93% and 96% respectfully.
Please find attached the Agreed Report from the Board of Management meeting of March 6th.
The school is closed on Monday March 19th for the St. Patrick’s Day weekend. We will be closing at 12 noon on Friday March 23rd for the Easter holidays (There is a school bus) and returning on Monday April 9th.
Swimming continues this Thursday for First, Second and Sixth classes We will have two swimming sessions next week (Tuesday March 20th and Thursday March 22nd) as one session was cancelled due to the snow.
Cumann na mBunscoil Gaelic Football
The Boys played Ardcath today in their first Cumann na mBunscoil game. The will have six games in total. We wish the boys and girls the best of luck in their respective competitions.
Friday 23rd March is Daffodil Day. Daffodil badges for €3.00 are on sale at reception. All proceeds to the Irish Cancer Society. Please support Daffodil Day on March 23rd.